The History of Nissoria is linked to two different areas of its territory, the sunny altiplano, among the green valleys where the present town, and the district now called "Tower", which since the sixth century it housed the old Nysura colony founded by immigrants from Eastern lineage, the Byzantines, who introduced the cult of St. Gregory, was revered patron of Nissoria until 1855. Nell 'year 1746 by Francesco Rodrigo Ventimiglia Moncada Aragon, Prince of Paterno, he began the foundation of 'today Nissoria.
The town of Nissoria is located near the Salty river, between Agira Assoro and Leonforte and is located 650m above sea level. It has about 3140 inhabitants called Nissorini and since 1926 belongs to the province of Enna. Today Nissoria is one and a half kilometers from the settlement of Contrada "Tower". Where they are clearly visible remains of a fortified structure with a tower defense walls chosen as the emblem of ethno-anthropological museum.
Traditional festivals are:
– Life Day, 1st Sunday of February;
– Feast of "pagghiara" Pentecost Sunday;
– Palm Sunday;
– Impromptu painting, April 25;
– Festival of wheat and pasta with breadcrumbs, last Saturday and Sunday in April;
– San Francesco di Paola, May 23;
– Our Lady of the Rosary, 3rd Sunday in October;
– St. Joseph (main festival of the country), 1st Sunday of August;
As for the typical products you can find the ramette chocolate and almonds with "liffia" or lemon liqueur, pasta with breadcrumbs, cassatelle, "cucciddati" with figs and almonds, nfasciatiaddi, bread and homemade pasta, bread Home seasoned with pepper and olives, extra virgin olive oil worked in the mill stone.
You can visit:
– The Mother Church (1746), dedicated to the patron Saint Joseph. In recent years it has been enriched with magnificent marble and frescoes by Elio Romano, it preserves numerous paintings by Giuseppe De Stefani;
– Fortification of the district tower (XIII);
– Necropolis of Picinosi (ninth century BC to third century AD)
– Rocca di Sarro (Hagar Sàrlù). The fortress and the places that saw the latest exploits of Serlo d'Altavilla;
– Ethno-anthropological museum and the peasant culture. The museum is always open and you can visit it. The ethno-anthropological museum was built in 2001. The construction of the museum of civilization in Nissoria is another important opportunity for growth for our community. Growth in terms of cooperation between different agencies, including the areas of administrative organization and between the common and individual citizens. Growth in cultural terms, as we can not forget that our current reality is closely linked to the rural origins in the full sense of the word. In order not to lose this bond, to strengthen it in its sentimental aspects, human, traditional, we think that an initiative can testify faithfully to our children and to future generations, the world from which we come, for them to not forget, so that know him, respect him and love him.
Free time you can spend in the pools "Gazebo", the sports hall, sports pitches and courts.