The province of Agrigento, administratively Free Municipal Consortium of Agrigento, is an Italian province of 448,831 inhabitants of Sicily, with its capital in Agrigento. It is bordered on the west by the province of Trapani, in the north of the province of Palermo, and to the east with the province of Caltanissetta; south overlooking the Strait of Sicily. Its capital from Girgenti changed its name into Agrigento, in 1929, in the fascist period. It is the land par excellence symbol of Greek colonization in Italy, and the largest for the testimonies of its territory currently visited. Besides its valley it can be defined as one of the major tourist attractions of Sicily.
It stretches from east to west, from the sea to the beaches of Licata of Memphis, near the Greek ruins of Selinunte; from north to south mountain range extending from Sikelian the Strait of Sicily; his piece of land, corresponding to the archipelago of Pelagie (Lampedusa, Linosa and Lampione), belongs geologically to the African continent. Its territory coincides perfectly with that of the Archdiocese of Agrigento, the largest Catholic diocese in Sicily by extension. The Province of Agrigento houses an important archaeological site, the Valley of the Temples, a World Heritage Site in 1997 by UNESCO.